Many of us love to ride the highways on our motorcycles. Taking a ride with family and friends on a fresh crisp weekend is pure joy. But as we all know, safety must be a primary concern. Here are a few tips:
- Have an annual insurance review. We can help you find the right combination of coverage and price, and we provide outstanding customer service.
- Wear a Helmet. Buy a full-face helmet for the best protection for your head and eyes. A motorcycle rider not wearing a helmet is 40 percent more likely to sustain a fatal head injury in a crash than a rider wearing a helmet. A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study reports that, "Helmets saved 1,483 motorcyclists lives in 2009, and 732 more could have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn helmets."
- Wear other protective gear as well; heavy leather or synthetic gloves, long pants and jacket, and over-the-ankle leather boots. Leathers can keep you warm and protected.
- More than 90 percent of riders involved in accidents had never taken a formal motorcycle driving course. Get to know your bike’s capabilities, like how it performs on a curve or slick roads, and you’ll become a much safer rider. Errors like over-braking, driving too fast and under-cornering are major factors in most solo mishaps.
- Driving impaired is more deadly for cyclers than other drivers. In fact, more than half of all motorcycle deaths occur when the rider has been drinking.
- Service your bike to make sure it is working correctly.
Have a great time on your bike, be safe and call us with any questions. Mid Sates Insurance Agency can off you the right combination of pricing and coverage, call us today.